Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Behind the Curve: Your Attention Please...This is a Curvy Service Announcement


I love fashion. I love the innovative fashion trends, the creative designs and the forward-thinking (and sometimes backward-thinking, which is equally fabulous) designers.

I wait for fall fashion week, every year, the same way a teenage girl on her first date waits for her first kiss. I look for the Land's End and J. Crew fall catalogues, the way a child on Christmas Eve waits for the stroke of midnight, Santa and all of that.

My love affair with fashion is unconditional and pure. I feel that fashion allows me to express who I am and what I feel.  It allows us to embellish and accent the living, breathing works of art that we already are.  I will give fashion trends--even the ones that don't always agree with my curves, a chance. Because, you see, I love fashion and fashion loves me.

Which is why what follows will be very difficult to write. But, it has to be done. Somebody has to say something, but nobody has found the courage to do so, yet.

I hate the skinny jean fashion trend and will no longer be wearing them.

There, I said it.

My reasons for doing so are many. The most obvious reason is I am not skinny, and I don't want to be. Wearing a jean that celebrates "skinny" is fine for the size twos and fours with the hips of my five year old cousin.  They're fine for the hipster, the heroin chick set, for those whose hips are the size of my waist, or neck, for that matter.  But for women--women with curves and hips, there is no place in skinny jeans for us.

We are the curvy, the sexy, the voluptuous, the lovely. And those of us, like us, can't apologize for that. Which is exactly what pouring all of our curves into skinny jeans does. Writes a perpetual apology letter for what we have and what we are.

I cannot continue to apologize for something that I am proud of.  I am proud of my figure, and who I am.  I will not hide in the bondage of the skinny jean anymore.  Show me the curvy jean, and let my shape and spirit soar!

No comments:

Post a Comment