Thursday, August 9, 2012

Ann Curry: Ahead of the Curve



Oscar Wilde said that every man has his disciples. That may be true. And the same may also be true for women. Even with long time reporter and anchor Ann Curry. She's really smart and really funny and really, really personable and caring. Which is why when Meredith Vieria left the the anchor seat at the Today Show, most of believed that when Ann Curry was picked to replace Vieria, it was a wise and natural choice.

For about a year, Curry dazzled the Today Show and its audience with her thoughtful journalistic approach, fun-loving demeanor and bold fashion. Curry clearly had her share of disciples, but the executives at NBC weren't among them. Curry was replaced as anchor of the Today Show, almost as quickly as she was named to the post.




And Curry, in her usual poised fashion was slow to talk about the reasons she was given for her departure. But, we are now discovering that Curry was replaced because she wore bright-colored dresses and refused to color her graying hair, or mask her wrinkles.



“I’ve decided not to buy into the idea that I want to stop aging,” she said. “My wrinkles connect me to my family, to my ancestors and to my future. This is how my father looked when he was my age. I’ve got cellulite because it runs in my family. I’ve got gray hair because I won’t dye it. … But I don’t want to change the fundamental parts of me because it means changing who I am.”


So for those of you keeping score, NBC execs replaced Curry because she has a bold fashion sense and refused to be ashamed that she is in her fifties?



That may sit well with the people who work at NBC, but for us women who hear all the time that the older we get the less beautiful and more worthless we become, it's fingernails on a chalkboard.


Ann Curry. Dissed by NBC execs. Changing the way the world thinks about gray hair and bold fashion. She is ahead of the curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment