Sunday, April 24, 2011

From Eostre to Easter...accessories abound...

Some people believe that the word Easter comes from Eostre, the goddess of Spring, fertility, and rebirth.  Eostre is depicted as a curvaceous woman who brings the Earth back to life after the long Winter.  Eostre comes down to Earth in the form of a beautiful maiden with a basket of bright, colorful eggs.  Her magical companion, the rabbit, accompanies her as she brings new life to dying plants and flowers by hiding the eggs in the field.  The Easter bunny/her companion itself, symbolizes fertility, rebirth, and the abundance of life (http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/sunnysweb/ostar.html)
I am so excited to have found this curvaceous goddess.  She is the granter of new beginnings and of second chances.  She is full of joy and creation, a goddess in her own right. 


Speaking of young maidens, Easter fashion for little girls is timeless.  Whether one has to be coaxed or happily flies into the lovely pink dress that symbolizes not only Easter, but also the beginning of Spring, the Easter dress is certainly a staple of celebration.  I, myself, have a favorite Easter dress and memory.  My dress was a lovely shade of pale pink..like the Easter eggs that we had dyed the night before.  As a youngster, I had the interesting combination of tomboy tendencies of tree climbing, etc, but I shared these interesting adventures with my pink clad Barbies.  So, my mother did not have to do too much coaxing to get me into my pink dress, it was the sitting still part that was a little more challenging.  She managed to get my sister and me to both sit on the couch, and then my parents brought in two bunnies! There was no faux fur about it! These were real life, full fur bunnies! Complete with hopping and cute nose wrinkling! There was so much celebration that day!

Easter is a time of great celebration and gratitude, a time of new beginnings and joy.  No matter your beliefs, keep a bunny by your side, faux fur or chocolate, and know this is the time of celebration and rebirth, and that a curvaceous goddess lies within you.  Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment